Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and its project team will begin work
the week of July 28, on the reconstruction of State Road A1A between Sunrise Boulevard
and NE 18th Street in Fort Lauderdale.
This area of A1A was severely eroded during Hurricane Sandy in October 2012 and
the Thanksgiving weekend storms the following month. In early 2013, FDOT made
emergency repairs in this area, including the installation of a new sheet pile
The $11.8 million reconstruction project includes:
* Constructing a wide beachfront promenade on the east side consisting of
a paver sidewalk
* Installing a decorative sea wall with accent lighting
* Constructing a raised median in front of Birch State Park
* Constructing median islands and left turn lanes in the residential section
* Installing a new underground drainage system
* Relocating underground utilities, adjusting manhole covers and restoring
* Installing decorative, turtle-friendly pedestrian lighting on both sides
* Installing signalized pedestrian crosswalks at Birch State Park, NE 15th
Court and NE 17th Street
* Installing new asphalt pavement on all lanes and parking spaces, new pavement
markings and highway signs
FDOT’s contractor is Russell Engineering, Inc. Construction oversight will be handled
by Calvin, Giordano & Associates, Inc. and FDOT.
Prior to construction starting, residents may see project staff videotaping the
exteriors of the privacy walls along A1A. Also, from July 28 until mid-August,
crews will be installing construction signs and concrete barrier walls that will
identify the work zones.
Areas that will be affected by construction during Phase One – July 28 through
- East side of A1A between Sunrise Boulevard and NE 14 Court. Parking spaces and sidewalk will be closed on the east side of A1A in this construction zone. Beach access points will be restricted. Pedestrians and beach goers will not be allowed to cut through the work zone. Two-way traffic, bike lane, parking and sidewalk will be maintained on the west side of A1A.
- West side of A1A between NE 14 Court and NE 18 Street. Parking spaces and sidewalk will be closed on the west side of A1A in this construction zone. Access will be maintained to side streets and driveways. Two-way traffic, bike lane, parking and sidewalk will be maintained on the east side of A1A.
If you would like to receive project email updates, please send your address to Barbara.Kelleher@dot.state.fl.us with a subject line of “A1A Updates,” and remember to put this address on their “safe sender” list. Also, people can follow the FDOT on Twitter @MyFDOT_SEFL.
The A1A Reconstruction Team thanks our project neighbors for their patience and
cooperation during this work. Should you have any questions or concerns about
this work, please feel free to contact FDOT’s Public Information Office at 954-777-4090.